It’s so incredible to think this has been my third summer of running, and if anything I’m more excited about it than ever! Whether you are a new runner or an experienced one, there are some things that will improve your performance and enjoyment of running:
1. Comfortable trainers: after three years my trainers are very worn but they are still so comfy that I don’t want to risk changing them yet!
2. Sweat wicking clothes: this is my preference as things do get a little damp! At least make sure your outfit is loose or comfy and invest in a sports bra!
3. Fitness tracker and/or app: it is very satisfying to see your progress and this helps to set a goal or evidence your success (see point 5). I use Google Fit and Fitbit to chart my runs and keep my phone in my running belt although my leggings do have deep pockets.
4. Music: I began with Amazon Prime Music and enjoyed the variety. But I am now converted to Spotify as I can have a playlist that has fewer limits on song choice.
5. A goal: this can be short or long term but needs to be achievable. I set out on each run with an aim but it could be speed, distance or route. This then gives a sense of achievement or an idea of where to improve. I received a medal entry to the English Channel Conqueror Virtual Challengefor my birthday and seeing my progress towards the end point was hugely motivating.
There you go, my five essentials for being a happy runner!